Monday, August 10, 2009

Fancy Meeting You Here

"Fancy meeting you here." That was the phrase my cousin Keri had all ready to say to me when I met her and her friend, Josi, in the Frankfurt airport. Of course, the phrase would have been a lot funnier if in order to get to a face-to-face meeting we hadn't had to coordinate with over an hour of waiting, three phone calls, and finally a coordinated trip up our respective escalators since we were on different platforms of the train station. We could see each other, but yelling over the trains rushing by wasn't working very well. But, we did finally meet up and get their bags checked on to their next flight so that we could head into downtown Frankfurt for lunch and a little sight seeing before they went on their way.

Keri and Josi were on their way to Prague, Czech Republic, for a nearly three week trip. I was really glad when I heard that they were going to have a six hour layover in Frankfurt while we were living here. I remember taking Keri on a trip to Oregon for her first time out of the state of Idaho. And that was when she was in high school. So it was a little surreal for me to think of meeting this same cousin on the other side of the world. I am glad that she gets to have the opportunity to travel to what I have heard is a beautiful city. Hopefully I can get there myself someday. I was half tempted to take Mikayla and get on their flight with them, just so I could see it, although maybe Darren wouldn't have appreciated it so much.

After all the time that it took to coordinate meeting each other and then finding where to check their bags and then figuring out how to use the ticket machine for the train tickets, we didn't have too long to spend in downtown Frankfurt. We did manage to grab a little lunch, find some cold drinks, and walk a bit to see some of the sights before we had to turn around and head back. And we only had a small amount of confusion over which train to take back to the airport. Then we said goodbye and Mikayla and I had to get back in the car for the two-hour drive back to Embken. It was a good day.

Frankfurt train station

A fountain

Keri and I

Keri and Josi

No comments:

Post a Comment