Friday, July 31, 2009

Bad Münstereifel

On the second day that the car was available to me since Darren was carpooling to work, I decided that I needed to go somewhere and not waste this opportunity. I thought about just driving around and looking at some of the little villages that are around here that I hadn't seen yet, but then I talked with Mary, our land lady, to see what her recommendations would be. The first place that she recommended was a town called Bad Münstereifel. I looked on the map and since it looked to only be about a half-hour drive from Embken, I decided to go. I got a little bit later start than I had wanted since Mikayla woke up late, but a little before noon we were on our way.

It was my first time really driving by myself with Mikayla to somewhere new, but the trip was pretty easy and the town was a big enough destination in this area so that there were many signs pointing the way. It was well worth the trip. The town was amazing, even though it rained quite a bit of the time that . It is a historical spa town (thus, the name "Bad" in front, which means "bath") located in the Eifel mountain range. The town has kept its medieval walls intact, and the whole town is confined within those walls. It is small enough to see everything by just strolling around it.

Mikayla and I had a good time strolling around, taking pictures, and just enjoying the town. We ate at a little pizza place called Pinocchios, where Mikayla made friends with a nice couple that spoke a little English and flirted with the waiter. We bought an umbrella after we were forced to wait out a downpour in a bookstore, but mostly we just looked at the sights.


The entry gates to the city


Our first view of the city


Mikayla at the restaurant


The restaurant


More of the city


Waiting out the rain deluge

The inside of the city walls


A cross bow window in a gate tower

2 comments:

  1. So cool! I love the cross bow opening in the wall. Ahh... the history! Way to go on venturing out on your own too, Trac. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely jealous of you guys. That town looks like one just out of a story book. Enjoy your time there :)

    ReplyDelete