When we woke up Thursday morning and looked outside, the sky looked clear. I think it stayed that way until about the time we were ready to leave, and then it started raining again. It rained on and off all day, but luckily there were enough breaks in the showers that we could get some sight seeing in. I was pretty excited about showing Brenda and Tony around this day, so I was glad that the rain didn't cancel our plans to go see Satzvey Castle and Bad Münstereifel.
Satzvey Castle is a great little castle located in a town about 20 minutes or so from Embken. I had passed by it before when I was first exploring the area with Mikayla, but had never gone in. Darren and I keep talking about going, but it had never worked out. It is a very well-maintained castle and it still has its moat. We parked and walked around a bit, but soon found out that we couldn't actually go inside the castle since it was closed on Thursdays. There were lots of workers around, setting up tents and booths and things like that for the Medieval Festival that they were having there starting the next day. We were able to get a few good pictures of the outside of the castle (as on the other days, most of the pictures in this post are Tony and Brenda's), but then headed on to Bad Münstereifel.
I was so excited to be able to bring someone else to Bad Münstereifel. I had been there early on in our stay in Germany, but only with Mikayla. And she wasn't nearly as excited to see the cute little walled town as I was. At the time I thought I would be bringing most of our visitors there to see it since I enjoyed it so much, but it hadn't worked out until now to come back. It was fun to be able to share the experience of the town with other people who were enjoying it as much as I did. And we got to explore even more of the town that I was able to when I was there the first time. We didn't even mind the rain that came on intermittently when we were there, since we were mostly able to duck into churches or places like that when it got too wet.
It was a little eerie when we were walking along near the city walls and what can only be described as an air raid siren started. Even though none of us there had ever been through anything that would be even remotely associated with an air raid, we all recognized the sound. It went on for quite awhile, then stopped. I asked my landlady about it later that night when we were back at the apartment, and she said that they do that when there is a fire in the village or if there is a particularly bad pile-up on the autobahn.
That evening, after Darren got home from work, we decided to go try out the little restaurant in town. Darren and I had never been there before, but heard good things from people around here. The one time we had tried to go before, it ended up being closed, so we were glad that it was open this day. Our land lady had a menu from the restaurant in our apartment, so we spent awhile before we went interpreting the menu and figuring out what we wanted. When we got to the restaurant, though, the owner didn't give us menus, but rather asked us if we wanted the Rahmschnitzel, which is a schnitzel with a cream sauce. I think it was the only thing being made that day. Luckily, that is what I had decided that I wanted, and the others were agreeable to trying it out. We were the only ones in the dining room the entire time we were there, and it was a nice place to eat. And they made the one dish well. It will be interesting to see, if we do go back, whether or not it is always that same schnitzel that they serve or if they rotate it to the other things that the menu said they had.
No comments:
Post a Comment